Insurance company Sanlam is looking to hasten the growth of its African business via its joint venture partnership with Allianzreported Business Daily Africa

In May 2022, Sanlam and Allianz reached an agreement to merge their operations to create an insurer with operations in 29 markets across Africa. 

As per the report, in three months, the firms are expected to commence their ten-year partnership by combining their businesses spread across numerous markets, including their local subsidiaries Sanlam Kenya and Jubilee Allianz General Insurance Kenya.

“Approvals for the Allianz Joint Venture remain on track, and we expect implementation around mid-2023,” Sanlam was quoted by the publication as saying in a trading update.

“The African portfolio will be considerably expanded and diversified, with reasonable cost, capital and revenue synergies, through the creation of a joint venture with Allianz (subject to regulatory approvals).”

Sanlam will hold a 60% stake in the joint venture, and Germany-based Allianz will control the remaining 40%. 

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

Under the agreement, Allianz will contribute its shareholding in its African operations.

These include majority stakes in Jubilee general insurance businesses in Kenya, Uganda, and Burundi which it bought recently. 

South Africa-based Sanlam will contribute its ownership stake (57.1%) in Sanlam Kenya as well as other businesses.

Sanlam’s operations in South Africa, India, the Middle East, and Malaysia are not included in the deal. 

There is currently no clarity if the JV will feature asset transfer or go beyond to have complete ownership or even involve the merging of the businesses in which the entities will hold controlling interests in the several markets they operate, reported the publication.