Total insurance industry deals worth $12.5bn were announced globally for March 2022, with Berkshire Hathaway $11.6bn acquisition of Alleghany being the sector’s biggest investment, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 256.1% over the previous month of $3.51bn and a rise of 227.2% when compared with the last 12-month average of $3.82bn.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a drop of 24.44% with 34 deals in March 2022 when compared to the last 12-month average of 45 deals.
In value terms, North America led the activity with deals worth $12.05bn in March 2022.
insurance industry deals in March 2022: Top deals
The top five deals accounted for 97.6% of the overall value during March 2022.
The combined value of the top five deals stood at $12.2bn, against the overall value of $12.5bn recorded for the month.
The top five insurance industry deals of March 2022 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Berkshire Hathaway $11.6bn acquisition deal with Alleghany
2) The $278m acquisition of Blue Care JV (BVI)(Hong Kong) and Blue Cross (Asia-Pacific) Insurance by AIA Group
3) AXA Venture Partners,Brighthouse Financial,Global Atlantic Financial Group,IA Financial Group,KKRInc,Lincoln Financial,Mass Mutual Ventures,Norwest Venture Partners,Pacific Life Insurance and Revolution Ventures $125m venture financing deal with PolicyGenius
4) The $100m private equity of Synex Business Performance by BBH Capital Partners
5) Allianz Ayudhya Capital $92.19m acquisition deal with Aetna Health Insurance (Thailand) PublicLimited
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.